Travel grant applications to attend the 2024 Annual CEA Conference
Application Deadline: March 15, 2024
Updated CEA Student Travel Grant Policy (as approved by the CEA Board, June 2 2022)
The Canadian Economics Association allocates funding to support student participation in its Annual Meetings.
- The objective of travel grants is to support the career and professional development of PhD students or other sponsored students.
- Grants defray conference fees, travel and accommodation costs associated with actively participating in the Annual Meetings.
- Up to 12 grants will be awarded annually, with a minimum of five (5) reserved for populations that are under-represented in the economics profession.
- Each award will cover up to $1,250 of eligible expenses. Awards will be distributed based on criteria described below.
Eligibility and Procedures
• Students studying at a Canadian university or who are Canadian citizens studying at a foreign university are eligible to apply for a travel award.
• Applicants must be attending the Annual Meetings and be either (i) presenting a paper,(ii) participating in a panel or (iii) be sponsored to be eligible for an award.
- Sponsored students include prospective attendees who are neither presenting a paper nor participating on a panel, but who are actively participating in the Annual Meetings. To qualify as sponsored, students require a letter from a current Association Director or from the coordinator of a CEA Study Group. This letter should describe how the student’s attendance at the Annual Meetings supports the candidate’s career and professional development and how the student will contribute to the Meetings.
• Applicants must submit [items (i), (ii), and (iii) below]:
(i) a short (less than 300 words) cover letter
Cover letters should:
- Indicate whether the applicant wishes to self-identify as a member of an under-represented group.
- If you are not studying at a Canadian University, indicate whether (or not) you are Canadian citizen
- Provide a rough estimate of the total expected travel costs of attending the Annual Meetings (e.g., airfare, lodging costs).
(ii) an application form [PDF link forthcoming] to be eligible for an award. Application forms should be signed by the student’s Department Chair or Graduate Coordinator, attesting that the student is not receiving financial support to attend the meetings from either their advisors or home department.
These two documents (i) and (ii) are to be submitted to email@example.com with "Student Travel Grant" quoted in the subject line by March 15th, 2024.
(iii) In addition, you need to complete the *brief* questions with the "Ticket" item below once logged into your CEA account in order to tie the application to your CEA account and for future communications.
Please submit your travel grant application before the deadline of March 15th to be included in the selection process.